Any promotions you send out via direct mail or email at a busy news time will be ignored, as minds will be on the news item.
Knowing how much a promotion costs in time, effort and money, a poor response can make a huge hole in your finances. So, while we are on the subject, let us look at the best time to promote.
There are clear favourites:
Seven great times to promote subscriptions
Here are some of the best times to promote subscriptions, more or less in order:
1. Before launch
2. During changes to editorial
3. When amalgamating with another title e.g. The Daily Beast with Newsweek magazine
4. Spring, Autumn and January
4. To coincide with a relevant event e.g. Autosport magazine during a Grand Prix
5. To offer advice during a current popular topic such as investments, saving money, property foreclosures, etc
6. The launch of a competing publication or website
7. To satisfy a current underlying, undeveloped and unspoken need
If you can organise a promotion to coincide with any of those things you will find response lifts far above the norm.
It can be difficult to do, but try to avoid royal weddings, the death or funeral of someone famous, holidays and bad news of any kind especially about the economy.
Let me know if you have been caught out, as I have, or have struck lucky with any of your promotions (which these days, I often do!)
Subscriptions marketing: confidential information for sale
The Subscriptions Strategy newsletter publishes international case studies of ‘best practice’ marketing for the Internet, websites, newsletters, books and magazines etc.
As publishers ourselves, we live or die by results. If a promotion doesn’t work, we lose money. If it works we record the results and use it on our own, and our clients’ websites and publications.
Every issue of the Subscriptions Strategy newsletter carries examples of successful marketing.
How you benefit by removing risk
As far as we are concerned, our testing means the difficult and costly part is over. As far as you are concerned, you can benefit from this tried and tested knowledge because the risk of failure has been removed and profitability is assured.
You will also find Subscriptions Strategy a great resource for training staff in all aspects of subscriptions marketing.
Please click on the link below for instant access to your subscriptions marketing starter pack. You receive:
1. 20% off the full price of an annual 6-issue subscription to the digital edition of the Subscriptions Strategy newsletter (a saving of £40)
2. Subscription Marketing Workbook worth £33: 15 Subscriptions Marketing Innovations Every Publisher Should Know
3. Subscriptions marketing ‘rapid update’: three special Subscriptions Strategy reports worth a total of £99 to bring you up to date with best practice marketing procedures for online and traditional subscription marketing
You pay just £157, a total saving of £211. If the material does not come up to expectations, email, write or phone for a full refund. This guarantee is valid for the lifetime of your subscription and can be exercised at any time.